Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wow let's Role Play~~

Role playing is very useful in teaching language skills. It can integrate speaking and listening in one activity. Apart from that role playing activity is very useful in language learning as it can make the learning environment become enjoyable.

In most role-playing exercises, each student takes the role of a person affected by an issue and studies the impacts of the issues on human life and/or the effects of human activities on the world around us from the perspective of that person. More rarely, students take on the roles of some phenomena, such as part of an ecosystem, to demonstrate the lesson in an interesting and immediate manner. 

Role play can bring benefits as follows:

1. Motivating students
2. Save time in learning language
3. Integrates few language skills in one activity
4. More student participation
5.Connect student with real life situation 

For this role playing task, we were asked to do a role play and create a conversation which can show the uses of form and function in our everyday life.

Here is our conversation:

Prepared by : Kelvin Andreas Anak Apaw
Khairul Azlan Bin Mohd Faizul
Mohd Shahrol Bin Matrimau
Tiong Kung Ling
Class : PPRMT5
Two young men are having their conversation in XXX Café. Both of them are talking about Miss Universe 2011 pageant. They are arguing about the winner of the pageant.
Shah : (Approaching the café) Hey Kel, it has been a while. How are you?
Kel : Wow! Look who is here? Glad you are still alive…
Kay : Any drinks, gentlemen? [To ask]
Kel : I would like a mango juice.
Shah : Hurm… there are too many choices. I do not know which one to choose.
Kel : Want me to choose for you?
Shah : Sure.
Kel : Just give him a glass of sky juice. [To suggest]
Kay : One mango juice and one sky juice, table 2567!
Tiong : One mango juice and one sky juice, coming right up!
Shah : So have you watched Miss Universe 2011?
Kel : Oh yes! I think Miss Malaysia, Deborah Henry should get the title for Miss Universe 2011. Her body is perfect! You know what Shah? Through my 22 years existence in this world, the judges were major major super major major biased. [To give opinion]
Shah : Are you kidding me? Miss Angola, Leila Lopes deserved her title. Just look at the curves. (whistle~) The elegance, the bikini, the size, the…
Kel : Yeah! Yeah! Whatever. As long as my mother is more beautiful than your mother. It is all that matters.
Shah : Duh…are you insane? If your mother is more beautiful, then why did my father marry my mother and not yours? [To argue]
Kay : Stop it… Here you are, sir. For your information, my parents are more attractive than your parents!
Tiong : No, no, no… My parents are more attractive, okay? So do not get jealous.
Kel : Hey, what’s up with you two? Do not interfere our conversation!
Shah : Yeah, it’s just between me and him. (Points to Kel)
Tiong : You want to know something? My mother was the Mrs Sibu for three years in a row!
Kel : Humph! Perhaps your mother won because she was the only contestant for those three years! [To tease]
Tiong : How dare you! She joined it fair and square!
Kel : It’s so lame to promote your mother as the beauty pageant winner for just a small area. My mother is the second runner-up for last year’s Mrs Sarawak! I repeat, Mrs Sarawak pageant!
Shah : Oh please. My mother was a candidate for the Mrs Earth last year!
Kay : Guys, just stop it, you guys!
Tiong : Humph! My mother will join Mrs Universe this year! Don’t get jealous!
Kay : I said stop!
Shah : My mom too!
Kay : Please stop, all of you.
Kel : My mother does come from a small town, but she will join the brawl too!
Kay : Can you guys please stop quarrelling?! You’re disturbing the customers here! [To stop an argument]
Shah : Oh, OK.
Kay : We should be happy because we still have our mothers on our side! You know what? I’m glad that I’m here!
Kel : Hey, you sound familiar.
Kay : Do I?
Tiong : Yes, the Filipino “Engrish” beauty pageant.
Shah : Major major! Oh please, improve your English! [To advise]
Kay : Okay okay, that’s enough. Enjoy your drinks, guys. Don’t start another debate on it.
Tiong : Aaa… Excuse me? Waiter, I don’t have the drinks. How should I enjoy it?
Kay : GO BACK TO WORK, YOU FOOL! I’m only talking to the customers!
(Tiong runs back to workstation, and the café is as peaceful as before)
- THE END -

I hope we can do better next time.....

In learning, we must take it slowly to understand it better...





No comments:

Post a Comment